Remember Skynet from the Terminator movies? The self-aware, super intelligent, human-killing machine? Good...spread the word, because it's about to make a return. Here's the steps to a new Skynet:
- The US Government decides to commission unmanned drone aircraft to defend us.
- The drone aircraft's get infected with a computer virus.
- Technicians go to a web page to view instructions on how to remove the virus (yes, you read that right)
- The virus keeps coming back.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger announces that he's really a robot and must kill John Connor.
- End of the world.
Alright, those last two lines aren't true....yet. But the rest of it is. A computer virus that keeps coming back? Officials think it's benign, but they really don't know. Right now the virus is in the fleet of America's Predator and Reaper drones, logging pilots' keystrokes as they fly missions over Afghanistan and other war-zones from their home bases. Officials have banned portable storage drives since they think that's how the virus got on the planes, but every time they remove a version of it, another one comes back. Maybe we should prepare for the coming robot takeover.
Alright, who's going to step up as the new John Connor? I vote for Justin Bieber. Best case, he saves the world - worst case he's the first casualty in the war against the machines and we don't have to hear his music anymore. Done, and done.