Now that the NFL season is winding down, I thought I would share with you my top 5 running QBs in the NFL. These quarterbacks not only specialize in slinging the ball but they can make outrageous plays with their feet. Click on any of the YouTube images for a popup video.
5) Aaron Rodgers – 3 rushing TDs, 257 yards, 4.3 yards per carry. He is the best passing QB in the league but he can also scramble. Time and time again, he escapes the clutches of defenders and runs for the crucial first down. He is much more athletic than most people anticipate. Don't expect him to sit in the pocket and wait to be sacked. He will burn you, trust me I know, I'm a Vikings fan.
4) Joe Webb – 2 rushing TDs, 154 yards, 7.0 yards per carry. While these numbers may seem pedestrian, these are his totals in 1 and half starts! Joe is the fastest guy on his team. A team that features speedsters, Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin. All he does is makes plays. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend YouTubing "Joe Webb jumps 7 bags".
3) Michael Vick – 1 rushing TD, 589 yards, 7.8 yards per carry. Two years ago, he would have been #1 but age is starting to wear on him. Regardless, how many QBs do you know that have run for a thousand yards in a season? Exactly. He is still considered one of the fastest players in the league but a disappointing season has hurt his stock. Mike is the NFL career leader in rushing yards by a QB. He also owns the record for most yards per carry in a season with 8.4.
2) Tim Tebow – 6 rushing TDs, 660 yards rushing, 5.4 yards per carry. Some consider him to be a full back that plays QB. Tim’s ability to swat off 300 pound defenders like flies is Herculean. He runs over defenders like one of the greatest full backs of all time, Mike Alstott. He's won multiple games in the fourth quarter with his legs. His run against the Patriots automatically gives him the number 2 spot. He is the most dangerous running QB in the league.
1) Cam Newton - 14 rushing TDs, 706 yards rushing, 5.6 yards per carry. He is superman. The 2010 Heisman Trophy winner made quite an impact his rookie year. He set the NFL rushing touchdown record (13) for quarterbacks on December 4th, 2011 against Tampa Bay. That day, he also caught a pass for 27 yards! This guy will not only juke you but stiff arm you on his way to a 50 yard TD run. He’s done what no other rookie QB has ever done. Look for him to continue to set rushing records. He is the best running QB in the league right now.