Beard Of The Month - August 2013 - Jeff Langum
It's August and we are closing out summer with a bangin' beard! Meet Mr. August, Jeff Langum. Jeff, his beard, his wife, and two teen sons reside just outside of Philadelphia, PA. Oana, Jeff's wife of thirteen years, is his biggest fan and is always by his side at every competition. He claims that it's mostly to make sure his crazy, bearded-self stays out of trouble!
Jeff and his beard spent their life as a Microsoft Engineer, but retired and now do web and graphic design. One of Jeff's hobbies is to remod Microsoft XBOX controllers. On days when he isn't working, Jeff takes his beard out on the golf course, for rides on his Harley, or just sits around playing his banjo or XBOX. You can find this blues duo rocking out to Robert Johnson, B.B. King, Bobby Bland and more.
Keep reading to learn more about Jeff and his beard!
Name: Jeff Langum
How long have you been growing your beard?: My current beard will be 2 years old on Sept 23rd, but I have always sported some sort of facial hair since high school.
Why are you growing your beard?: My beard is growing me – it gets me out in the world, meeting new people, discovering new places. I have learned so much from my beard.
Have you won or placed in any competitions?:
- 1st Place FBN under 12” and People’s Choice Award - Gotham City Beard and Mustache Competition, New York City, NY 2012.
- 1st Place FBN - Great Lakes Regional Beard and Mustache Championship, Michigan 2012.
- 3rd Place Gnarliest Beard - Come and Save It 7, Austin TX, 2013.
- 1st Place FNB - Garden State Beard and ‘Stache Competition, Jan 2013.
- 3rd Place FBN - BeardCon, 2012.
- 1st Place FBN - Uptown Pittman Beard and Mustache Competition, Pittman NJ, 2012.
- 3rd Place FBN under 12” - East Coast Beard and Mustache Championships, Philadelphia PA, March 2012.
- 1st Place Most Bad Ass Beard - Beard NJ Competition, Dunellen NJ, 2012.
- 1st Place FBN - Coney Island Beard and Mustache Competition, Coney Island NY, 2012.
- 3rd Place FBN under 12” - Southeastern Beard and Mustache Championships, 2012.
- 1st Place FBN and Best in Show - Jersey Devil Beard and Mustache Competition, Cherry Hill, NJ 2013.
- 2nd Place FBN over 12” - Love for the Beard North vs. South Beard and Mustache Competition, Fredericksburg VA, 2013.
How did you find out about the bearding community?: After watching Whisker Wars, I found the Philadelphia Beard and Mustache Club and joined up.
Do you belong to any beard club?: Yes, two. The Philadelphia Beard and Moustache Club and the Terminal Length Beard Club.
Is shaving anywhere in your future (I hope not!)?: Never!
What is the best compliment your beard has received?: I was at a grocery store and this little girl who was about 5 years old walked up to me and said “Sir, I really like your beard because it makes me smile.”
What have you gained from the bearding community?: I’ve learned what the word ‘community’ really means. I’ve met so many great people - who are all incredibly comfortable in their own skin (and hair). No matter where I go, small town or big city, people seem to connect to each other through facial hair! I am proud to be part of a community that extends around this world and look forward to meeting many more great souls!
Are there any competitions that we can find you at in the near future?: You will see me at pretty much all of the east coast competitions, and I will be at Nationals in New Orleans in September and at Worlds in Germany in November.